- Fixes bug in
listCensusMetadata variables call caused by underlying Census API changes.
censusapi 0.2.0 (2017-06-04)
- Updated examples, documentation, vignette.
- Fixes bug that caused single-row responses to throw an error
- Uses https rather than http for requests. The Census Bureau announced that their APIs will be https-only beginning on August 28, 2017.
- Removes XML dependency by parsing .json instead of .html metadata.
- Note: this change has generally increased the run time for retrieving variable metadata with
listCensusMetadata. For most APIs, this function will run in under one second. A lag may be noticeable for the American Community Survey APIs, which each have more than 40,000 variables. Improvements are planned in future releases.
listCensusMetadata allows full word or single letter argument in
- Scrapes http://api.census.gov/data.json rather than .html in
listCensusApis, in starts of removing XML dependency. The .json data also includes several fields not present in the .html file, the most useful of which are added to the returned data frame.
- Changes dataset used in
listCensusMetadata examples, mainly for build/checks speed.
getCensus(key) argument’s default value to be CENSUS_KEY in .Renviron. Explicitly encourages Census key to be added to .Renviron. (Users can always override this with any given input.)
- Parses HTML response code. This is particularly important for the response that the Census APIs provided for invalid keys.
- Removes fips code 72 (Puerto Rico) from included fips dataset because Puerto Rico is not included in most Census API datasets.
- Changes census key references in examples to Sys.getenv(“CENSUS_KEY”).